Feel that warm sunshine? That means summer is just around the corner, and with it, leg-bearing fashions like shorts and skirts. If you have varicose veins or spider veins, now is the time to schedule an appointment to learn about treatment options that can have you legs looking their best – and can also determine if you’re suffering from a more serious vein disease like chronic venous insufficiency, or CVI.
CVI: What are the signs?
Our veins have tiny valves inside that open and close to keep blood moving back toward the heart and lungs where it can be replenished with oxygen before being pumped back to the organs, limbs and tissues. When these valves become damaged or when the vein walls become weakened, the forward-flow of blood can be interrupted, and it can become difficult for blood to return to the heart from the extremities. Instead, blood collects or pools behind the valves in a condition called stasis. The extra pressure exerted by the pooled blood can cause additional damage to the valves and vein walls.
Varicose veins and spider veins are among the most common signs of CVI. Other signs and symptoms include:
- swelling in the ankles or feet
- changes in the color or texture of skin
- itching, burning or stinging sensations
- deep achiness or feelings of fatigue in the affected limb
- development of sores or ulcers in the skin
CVI is more common among women and those who are overweight or obese, as well as those who smoke or lead sedentary lifestyles. It also tends to occur more often as we get older.
Important Steps for Healthy Veins
One of the most important things you can do to preserve vein health and prevent serious vein disease is to schedule a consultation with our office at the first sign of CVI, including the presence of any of the above symptoms. And there are other important steps you can take as well, including:
- losing weight
- being more physically active – regular walking is great
- eating a diet lower in salt (sodium)
- quitting smoking
- taking frequent breaks when standing or sitting for long periods of time
- keeping your legs elevated above your heart when resting to help reduce swelling
- wearing compression stockings to help promote circulation – ask us about the correct style and pressure for your needs
- getting varicose vein treatment to eliminate defective veins and improve circulation
Schedule an evaluation today.
Even if you haven’t experienced symptoms of CVI, it’s important to have your veins evaluated for signs of vein disease, especially if you have any risk factors for venous insufficiency. Metro Vein Centers is a top-rated Michigan vein clinic, offering the most advanced methods for diagnosing and treating vascular diseases and disorders, including safe, effective treatments for spider veins and varicose veins. Scheduling a vein assessment is simple: Just call our office at 888-424-3882 or use our online form to schedule a free consultation right now.