What is sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy treats both varicose and spider veins using a concentrated, injectable foam. Once injected into small veins, the solution adheres to the vein walls, causing the unsightly veins to quickly close and be reabsorbed into the body. After treatment, circulation improves and the visible appearance of the veins disappears.
Sclerotherapy in Action
What Sclerotherapy Treats
What does sclerotherapy treat?
Sclerotherapy treats all sizes of varicose veins and spider veins, but is most often used for small-to-medium-sized veins on the surface of the skin. Sclerotherapy can treat both small cosmetic spider veins and more symptomatic bulging or varicose veins.
What are the benefits of sclerotherapy?
- Each session lasts just about 20–30 minutes, so you’ll be able to come in during your lunch break and go back to work right away.
- There is little to no downtime following your procedure, so you won’t need to schedule time off.
- Sclerotherapy is extremely safe, with very few, if any, side effects.
- We can treat multiple veins in one visit.
- Many patients see noticeable improvement before they even walk out the door of their first treatment—it’s that effective!
Will my insurance pay for sclerotherapy?
Metro Vein Centers accepts most insurance and will always work with your plan to maximize your coverage. When sclerotherapy is combined with treatment for varicose veins, it is often covered by insurance. In some cases, if sclerotherapy is purely cosmetic, then it would require an out-of-pocket cost not covered by insurance. Once you’ve had your initial consultation at our offices, our insurance specialists will let you know what your plan will cover.
How many appointments will I need?
While one appointment is sometimes enough to treat small clusters of spider veins in your leg, typical treatment plans—which are unique to each patient and their vascular health—range from 1–5 sessions, with 2–4 being average. Each session lasts just 20–30 minutes, and your appointments will be spaced several weeks apart for best results.
What are the side effects of sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy may include temporary side effects at the site of the injection, such as:
- skin soreness or redness.
- temporarily darkened skin.
These minor issues usually go away within a few days or weeks. Rarely, some side effects may take up to a month to completely disappear.
Book a free evaluation today to get started on your custom treatment plan.
Articles from our Vein SpecialistsRead More
- Varicose Veins10 Min Read
What Is Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)?
- Varicose Veins10 Min Read
What Your Blue, Green, or Purple Veins Are Telling You
- Vein Treatment12 Min Read
Why Fall is the Best Time to Get Varicose and Spider Vein Treatment
- Varicose Veins12 Min Read
How To Prevent Varicose Veins
- Varicose Veins14 Min Read
Does Exercise Help Varicose Veins?